The decision to board is a big one for every family, but at Rydal Penrhos School we endeavour to nurture a supportive, stimulating environment for our pupils in order to make their boarding experience a positive and enriching one.
Choosing to live at school brings many benefits, not least the maturing of confident, agreeable, socially-adept young people. At Rydal Penrhos we offer full, weekly or flexi boarding to suit the circumstances and needs of each individual family.
It is through boarding that pupils experience all that the school has to offer. Boarders have more time to spend with their peers and have the opportunity to take advantage of an extensive range of activities and pursuits that extend beyond the 9-5 day. Opportunities include extra sport, cultural trips, Duke of Edinburgh awards, greater access to on-site facilities, and more.
The school is within 45 minutes’ drive of Chester, Holyhead and Bangor, and there are fast rail links to London (under 3 hours) and the Midlands. Transfers from Manchester and Liverpool airports allow easy access from Europe and beyond, so boarding in one form or another is an attractive option for many families.
Boarders are cared for by experienced houseparents together with a team of tutors and matrons, all of whom work hard to create a convivial family atmosphere. Boarders very quickly come to view their house as a home from home, and build close relationships with other boarders and the house team.
The common areas of the house include a library or study area, kitchens with the necessary facilities to make snacks and open common rooms.
Bedrooms are bright, colourful and warm and the furnishings are sympathetically chosen for their appeal to young people.
Sixth form pupils who elect to board at the school are given single or double study bedrooms and greater responsibility for themselves in line with their age and increased responsibility. At the same time, we fully recognise the school’s duty of care towards them, and the School Rules and code of conduct for pupils spell out the standards of behaviour that we expect from the bottom of the school to the top.
NEW for 2015-16
We have introduced a substantially reduced fee for weekly boarding with up to 20% savings on the previous year’s fees
Weekly boarding allows pupils to take full advantage of the wide range of activities that extend beyond the 9 to 5 school day at Rydal Penrhos, but just as importantly it gives structured homework time for all boarders in the evening.
• Monday to Thursday boarding with the flexibility to add extra nights (subject to availability)
• Fully inclusive fee – no hidden extras for meals, laundry or evening activities
• Boarding houses for boys and girls
• Access to academic tutors every evening in the boarding houses
• Less time travelling; more time spent with friends building confidence and social maturity
• The option to take advantage of evening sports sessions including sailing and swimming
• NEW for 2015-16 the opportunity to work with our newly appointed Strength and Conditioning coach in the evening
For Years 12 and 13 pupils
• Weekly boarding is a great ‘stepping stone’ between home and university
• Many opportunities for academic enrichment after school – sixth-form lectures, academic societies, Business Club meetings
For more information please contact Head of Boarding, Mr Tim Cashell, TCashell@rydalpenrhos.com